Friday, May 2, 2014

A Reflective Tale of Happy Motherhood

The boys are in bed. Finally. It has been a long day. A tiring day. A stressful day. A busy day. School is winding down, but my brain is still working overtime. I think about all that needs to be done yet this year. All that needs to be done next year. All that could be done better. My thoughts are scattered as I consider new ideas. Old paths. New avenues. Comforting routines. Conversations with friends.

As I wearily prepare for bed, something catches my eye on my shirt. There, on my right shoulder lies a big smeary "booger", for lack of a better word. Uncontrollable laughter wells up. Then the hilarity that is my life erupts. For how long, exactly, have I been wearing this unsolicited snot that is NOT my own?? As the guffaws echo through the bathroom, my poor husband cautiously peers around the corner. He knows, from experience, that his wife is often a little off her rocker, but what has inspired this outburst?? To his credit, he also sees the humor of proudly worn boogers and we laugh together.

Then, in a moment of clarity, a nugget of wisdom falls into my lap.

Herein, lies happy motherhood.

Sometime, during this crazy day, I was overcome by a happy, loving boy throwing himself into my arms, head buried deep in my shoulder. "I love your hugs, Mommy!" "I love you, Mommy!" "Mommy, your hugs are the best!"

Then it hits you. In the head. On the chest. In the heart. 

Despite my many failings as mother, teacher, wife and friend, somehow, my children still love me. There is the disorganized house. The frazzled mother. The weary teacher. The grumpy cook. And yet, there is love. Unconditional and selfless love. I am showered regularly with hugs and kisses given with exuberant wild abandon, by boys not yet shy about showing affection. Ah.... this is what matters!

Hugs. Smiles. Kisses. Time. Laughter. Tears. Joy. Christ.

All that truly matters in this life can be summed up in these 8 words.

The last couple of days I have been meditating on this scripture.

"However, as it is written:
'What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived
the things God has prepared for those that love Him.'"
~1 Corinthians 2:19



These 8 things, these really important things, have been given to us here on Earth as a "taste" of what is yet to come. And I am grateful. And thankful. Yes, even for boogers. 

This morning after I awoke, ready for another unpredictable day of mothering, I slipped back into the shirt I was wearing yesterday. The one with the smear of "love". Yeah, I know. That's disgusting! But as I go through my morning, I am reminded of how it got there.
It means I am loved.
It means I am treasured.
It is a little taste of heaven!






No comments:

Post a Comment