Friday, May 13, 2011

Going on an Expotition

My hubby and I, hereto after referred to as Mr. ADD (for obvious reasons) and I, have made an enormous decision in the last 6 months. We have decided the public school system is not the best choice for Ry, our 6 year old son. Ry was diagnosed with ADHD in this past year. Because we did not feel he was ready for Kindergarten last year, we held him back a year and enrolled him in a program at our local YMCA that targets children who need one extra year before Kindergarten. It's called Next Step class. Next Step has been a wonderful and horrible experience all at once. Ry has thrived socially, becoming more outgoing, developing strong verbal and communication skills. He has learned so much academically as well. He is on the verge of beginning to read. He surprised me by identifying numbers to 100 the other night and is really doing well with beginning addition. He has surpassed my expectations for this year. The horrible aspect of this past year was hearing from his teacher all the things he has NOT been doing. Things "normal" kids do with no problem. Insert sarcastic roll of eyes. I am rather tired of listening to a diatribe of faults of my child, when I happen to think he is amazing, just the way he is. I am also very tired of work being sent home because "he works better with you" or "see if you can help him". I am tired of being told, "I feel Ry's IQ is incredibly high, BUT....insert yet another "fault" my child has. Hence, since our public school system has offered us absolutely no solution for helping an ADHD child succeed in a typical classroom setting, coupled with the fact that numbers of teachers are being cut in half due to budget cuts, putting classroom numbers well into the 30's, we have decided what we should have decided a long time ago. Ry is going to be home schooled. YIPES! I can't believe I just spilled all that out for the whole world to read. Yes, my frustration is high and my tolerance is becoming increasingly low.

So here I am, clueless, frightened, angry, excited, nervous and overwhelmed by the prospect of educating my child. Will I succeed? Will I fail? Will I make the right decisions? Will he learn? Can I help him learn to help himself overcome his weaknesses due to ADHD? Will he hate me forever? Will we have fun? Will I choose the right curriculum? Will we be accepted into CHIA (Our local homeschooling co-op)? Am I NUTS? What about ~drum roll~ socialization issues?? Frankly, if I hear one more well-meaning person (but other-wise clueless) express "deep concerns" about Ry playing with other children, I may (1) punch them in the mouth (2) vomit violently (3) stare vacantly into the distance and chant "Love thy neighbor as thyself" repeatedly (4) weep uncontrollably or (5) all of the above. I'm honestly concerned that I'll never ever have my family to myself again, as we participate in a plethora of community, educational, and church-related activities, not to mention time with family and friends. As a certified home-body, this home schooling business is going to push me out of my comfort zone socially. It exhausts me to think of so much action! But ah, I am going way out of my comfort zone in the very act of beginning home schooling. So why not do it up right?

I've designed this blog in hopes that my own creative writing side might have a voice, that I may be able to share my successes and failures as "Mrs. Mom" (my new home schooling title), gain wisdom and insight from other homeschooling moms out there and just have an outlet for the joys and frustrations of this process. If you would enjoy walking this new journey with me, please log on frequently to see my blogs. We're going on an "Expotition"......come along for the ride!


P.S. Yes, I know "Expedition" is spelled wrong. According to Winnie the Pooh, however, an "expotition" is very exciting, an adventure into the unknown! "Sing Ho! For the life of a bear. Sing Ho! for the expotiton!" Home schooling here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment